Monday, October 14, 2013

Week 5 Emergent/Early Literacy


Assignment#1


 Assignment#2
a. What surprised or interested you? 

What surprised me was how there was a teachers aid that spoke Chinese. I thought this was a great way to encourage and help out the children that spoke English as their second language. I also thought that it was very interesting how the room was set up into stations and different jobs that the students had to do in the morning.
b. What did you find that affirmed what you already knew or had been doing?

I all ready knew how important it is to have a daily routine for the students. They understand and know what is expected of them each day. I also knew about the “hands on learning” approach. Children learn a lot from experiences and by learning first hand. Also breaking up into small groups, where the children interact with one another is also a great way for children to learn.
c. What new approaches or ideas will you try?

I loved how every activity went hand-and-hand with the main theme. They were learning about Chinese New Year and each activity followed that theme. I loved how they even brought in a real Chinese rice cake. I think this experience will always stay with the students and they will be able to easily remember it.
d. What questions do you have?

Is it common to have a teacher aid that speaks another language depending on the high number of second language students? 

e. After watching the video, do you think differently about classroom practices you observed through field experience?

Yes and No. Pretty much all the classrooms I observed so far have a daily routine that is followed and the children know what to expect. This was the first time I seen a teacher aid that spoke a different language. 

Assignment #3  
 
I did another running record and the student's score was:
Error Rate: 198/8= 24.75 round 25…. 1:25
Accuracy Rate: (198-8)/198 X100= 190/198 X100= 95.95 round 96%
Self-Correction Rate: (8+6)/6= 14/6= 2.3 round 2….1:2
This student had an error rate of 1:25, an Accuracy rate of 96%, and self-correction 1:2 so he was self-monitoring his reading.
In my mini lesson I would try to find a more difficult reading for the student to read. His scored showed that this reading is easy enough for independent reading. I would want to challenge him a little more.  I would pick out the more difficult vocabulary in the passage and read and explain their meaning before he read the new passage. I would also go over the mistakes he made in the first passage so he would try not to make the same mistakes again. I would also like to pair him with another student that is close to the same score as his so they can read the new passage together. I like the idea of pairing students in groups so they can learn and feed off of one another.

3 comments:

  1. Good question! The video we watched is a "push-in" model, where bilingual teacher would come in to assist the ELL. The "pull-out" model would pull students out to receive instruction from ESL or resources room. There are also mixed approaches adopted in the schools, depending on the needs and the budget. Therefore, teachers should be prepared to teach ELLs using culturallyl responding pedagogies no matter what languages and cultures students bring into the classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see your assignment#3. :-!

    ReplyDelete