Monday, November 4, 2013

Running Record Project

STEP 1 These are copies of the book that the child (Anthony) read.


STEP 2
These are pictures of the Miscue analysis. I ran out of room writing it so it is two pages. (STEP 2)


STEP 3 
MINI LESSON PLAN
1. Teacher go over the words Anthony did not know. Read the words to him and give him the definition. (7mins)
2. Show the student (Anthony) when you break a word up that you are stuck on...it will help you. For example crop-dusting. Teacher covers up "dusting" and has Anthony read "crop" then covers up "crop" and has Anthony read "dusting."  Then he puts the two words together! I think this will help him when he is independently reading. (7mins)
3. Have the student (Anthony) reread the story again independently. (10mins)

Step 4

I really enjoyed doing this running record. I thought that Anthony did very well overall. Anthony was very excited to read a book about Planes. I think this had a part of him doing so good. Because he was interested in what he was reading....he became more focused and engaged throughout the reading.  The book had a total of 308 words. Anthony's accuracy rate was 94%. This means that the reading was instructional level for use in  guided reading session. His error rate was 17; 1:17. This means that every error Anthony made he read 17 words correctly. Lastly, Anthony's self correction rate was 4; 1:4- means that the student correct approximately 1 out of every 4 errors; also means that Anthony is  self monitoring his reading.
I noticed when Anthony was reading that he would jump and assume a word was a certain word and never trying to read it. I think this is because, he got excited or noticed the pictures and thought that's what the word was. For example, on page10 "But flying high makes him feel sick." Anthony said "slip" instead of sick. The background picture on this page is an icebergs and ice. I think that he just said "slip," because he seen all the pictures of ice. He also did this on page 16 "Dusty flies fast and low through a tunnel." Anthony read "train" instead of "tunnel". In the picture there is a train. I know he did this mistake due to the picture and him assuming the word was train without reading it. Because he reads "train" in the next few sentences. I also told him to read the word again after he read the book and he read "tunnel" fine. I think that he looks at the pictures to help him out, but he also needs to take his time, and read every word without looking at the pictures first. I also broke the words up with him after he read the book. For example "crop-dusting," I covered up the second word "dusting" and had Anthony read "crop" then covered up "crop" and had him read "dusting," then had him put it all together. I think this will help him when he is independently reading. It makes the word easier to read for him instead of trying to figure it out all together or just looking for the teacher to say the word. I would rather have him try to figure it out on his own if he could.  Overall, I was very impressed with him reading this book. I think he did a great job! In the future I would totally use "running record" as a method to find out what books are too difficult for kids to read on their own, or to just get a gist of what reading level they are on. I really enjoyed doing this study. I think it would be a great method to use in my classroom one day. It is a quick and easy method to see what reading level your students are on. 

Dr. Hsu I have a question. I marked it as a error, but I wanted to know if it really is an error. Anthony read can't and the word was cannot. I didn't know if it should of been a error or not.




3 comments:

  1. Great job! And yes to your question. Even though "can't" was read as "cannot," which doesn't change the meaning, it provides us information that the child needs to work on the contractions (if we find patterns throughout reading the texts). It maybe just that he automatically read "can't" as "cannot." We mark it as an error because we are based on the child's reading behavior to find strengths and needs to inform our instruction. Hope this clarifies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I was wondering...I remember Markella's question and you said it was an error because it changed the meaning...here he doesn't but still reads the word incorrectly. Thanks for clearing it up Dr. Hsu :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done mini lesson plan I particularly like how you will show the student how to break up a word which is difficult for him/her.

    ReplyDelete